As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, March 28, 2017

What Kind of Clothing?


Clothing seemed (seamed?) to be the theme of this past weekend. 


Kati's collection of stripes ~ photo by Kati 


On Friday afternoon, I steeled myself for an afternoon of dress shopping with Bekah (nearly 16). She is not the stereotypical angst-filled teenage girl, but she is quite particular about her clothes. 

Bekah is my hardest girl to please in the realm of fashion. Something is either too long or too short or low under the arms or not the right shade or too frilly or too boxy or too fill-in-the-blank. She can't even please herself! She'll buy something and then it will languish away in her closet until she finally decides that she really doesn't like it after all. 

Even as a tiny girl, she felt strongly about what she wore. For many years, she only wore dresses or skirts. Even to bed. Nightgowns only. Never pajamas because they were pants. She would have a complete meltdown if I insisted she wear pants on a frigid day . . . as in sobbing her heart out. I finally wised up and bought her leggings to wear under her dresses. No more tears. (For either of us.)

So the thought of dress shopping with Bek brings a bit of angst to my own heart.  

But she needs a purple dress, solid or print, for her spring concert in May. So on Friday afternoon, we set out together, cheerful attitudes and everything, to find The Dress.

Fourteen stores later (not kidding), we had no purple dress.

This time, it was not Bekah's fashion sense that was the hindrance. It is the fact that "purple is not in our spring color palette this year." What?! Who decided that? Do all the stores have the same decision-makers?

In the course of the afternoon, she did find two lavender dresses and tried them on. Both {ahem} needed more fabric. (I will just insert here that I am so thankful that Bek has a sense of modesty. Even though we don't always agree on fashion styles, we have no disagreements about the appropriateness of a garment.)

We gave it a heroic try.

That evening, we came home and ordered a lovely dress online. Now we pray that it arrives at the beginning of the estimated delivery range and not at the end. (The last day of the estimated range is the day of the concert. Yikes!)


On Saturday (while Ron was working on the library book shelves . . . yay!), Kati, Bekah, and I all cleaned out our closets. Out came clothes that don't fit. Out came clothes that are out of style. Out came clothes that are worn or faded. Out came clothes that have been hanging there for a year or two but never worn . . . you know, those things that you like, but never feel good in, so you always choose something else? (In Bekah's case, out came clothes with tags still attached!)

Then Kati and Bekah decided to go to a local consignment shop as well as a new store at the mall to search for a few missing pieces in their wardrobes.

At the end of the day, there were piles of things to share with family, some bags to donate, and a few things in the trash. Our closets were tidier and were filled with clothes that we actually wear and love. Very satisfying.



On Sunday, clothes sorting was a part of the afternoon's activities. Kristin's girls' clothes are stored in our attic. She had gotten some of the boxes down earlier in the week and the two younger girls had already done the spring clothing switch. So those boxes returned to the attic and those in Maddie's size came down, along with another box that may have blue dresses which the younger choir girls need for the spring concert. (No blue dresses in the box.) The piles from the closets were looked through and both families took some.


If you didn't follow that, no worries. I am not even sure that I followed it all myself!
I said all of that to show you how much time and effort this weekend went into the simple business of clothing our bodies.


But then I consider these words and it is all put into perspective. 

Do not let your adornment be merely outward arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. (I Peter 3:3, 4)


Yes, clothing our bodies is necessary and good. It is even a means of expressing our creativity and our individual style. But that's not the most important adornment, even if it is stylish or beautiful or costly, because that is outward.

True beauty . . . that is inward.

It is the hidden person of the heart.

It is a gentle and quiet spirit.

And it is precious in the sight of God.


12 comments:

  1. Amen!

    We've been doing a lot of that around here, and now it's my turn! Yikes!

    Sarah is my hardest to please, and yes, I am thankful that she is modest. She just is particular, and has a hard time finding things because of it.

    We're working on a capsule wardrobe for her, and if we can find the basics for that and a few other pieces she'll be all set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you brought back some memories for sure. Melody was easy to please when it came to fashion, IF I could get her to actually go and look. The girl hated to shop! Can you imagine a teenaged girl who didn't like to clothes shop? lol Everyone told me I was lucky, but it didn't feel that way to me. There was just those times we NEEDED to do so, lol. She did begin to somewhat enjoy it by the time she was in college, so there were a few years to enjoy. I hate it when those delivery dates cut things soo close. Hope your purple dress arrives in time, fits her, and she LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought back memories. How I loathed the trying on of clothes and packing them up and putting them away and giving away and all of that. Hated it. Still do. I am definitely an anything will do as long as modest and comfortable. I admire women who are, for lack of a better term, "pulled together." I don't even know how! Prayimg with you for an early delivery of "the dress." Your girls are so lovely! Hope that we get a glimpse of Bekah wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dislike shopping for clothes a lot. Trying them on in the store takes so much time and is so awkward. And I rarely find what I'm looking for. I'm glad I sew and can make things that fit and suit me. But we do have to wear clothes! Taking a few hours a couple of times a year to clean out, organize, and make certain that we're set for the season means that less time will be needed on a daily basis to adequately present ourselves in public.
    I see there are a lot of stripes in your wardrobes,as in mine. I hope the purple dress arrives on time and fits well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your exploration through the clothes closet. I love looking at lovely clothes ... on other people ... I really don't care to shop for them. But it really is lovely to clear out the cupboards and find that certain something new that we are sure to love all season. And, I have a few favourites that have seen many seasons already and I still love them. Sometimes we just don't know what we'll love until it's what we see ourselves reaching for on a regular basis.

    Trust the new purple dress will fit hopes and dreams for a special day.

    Wishing you a beautiful day...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Bekah sounds like our Lucy. Lucy is 9 years old and everything that she tries on gets the bending, twisting, stretching, jumping and riding up test . . . then it better not be scratchy. She reminds me of me . . . but I wasn't that way until I got to be somewhere in my mid fifties, LOL. I remember wearing many uncomfortable things, just to be in style. Oh, these shoes are okay, I'm just wearing them to church . . . I'll be sitting most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, I love how your family shares the clothing with each other. We used to do that when I was growing up. My cousins and aunts would all get together and we had the most fun getting something "new". Your little grand is just the cutest and I see she is loved by her aunts. I do hope Bekah's dress comes in soon.
    Yes, it's what's in our hearts that matter more than clothing. Thank you for sharing your gentle spirit. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I just added that verse on one of my answers for Hodgepodge Wednesday which I'm posting tomorrow! Love those socks and shoes on Maddie, so cute.
    I do hope the dress comes sooner than later! Love this post and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did Bekah get to almost 16 which it seems such a short time ago she was about to turn 13! Beautiful young lady--so glad she is modest in her dress--it's a rarity these days. I remember when I was a child, my mother had to make me wear pants to school on a very cold day. But now I wear them everyday--the last time I wore a skirt to work, it got in my way all day. So skirts are reserved for Sundays and special occasions. Loved the stripes. Blessings, Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! It must feel good to be cleaned out. I like all the checks and stripes in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now you've inspired me to do some closet cleaning. My wardrobe has definitely changed since retirement and all those black pants have to go!!!! I hope the purple dress arrives in time. On line shopping is sometimes the only way to find a particular thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes...is it just me or do the clothes hanging in your closets multiply on their own?? Your post follows along the lines with the theme of Joyce's Hodgepodge this week. Although my closets got "cleaned" when we got the new floors, I didn't say that they necessarily got cleaned out...there's a difference...for the most part, yes, but I could stand to purge quite a few items! Enjoy the rest of your week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...